Monday, December 24, 2012

Gotta Be Me

I am so thankful to be fully out of the closet at this point of my life. Not only personally, but also professionally.

As a vocal coach, I want to be a positive image of an openly gay man to those I teach who may really need that affirming influence. Maybe even fellow teachers could be encouraged. And as a singer/songwriter, I want to share music that is very honest- no using female pronouns when that is not my experience. It’s important for my songs to positively represent love between two men in an unflinching, natural way. I want there to be music released that I would have loved to hear when I was younger and afraid of my feelings. Tunes that could have validated me as a young gay man and musician.

In these ways, my being out is not only for me but also helps to make things a bit better for those GLBT folks who come after me, empowering them to live more authentically. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment